Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Seeker sensitivity

… there is, in our days, such an abundance of those who are "ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Tim. 3:7). A new sport has been created, if we may call it that, a sport of "god-seeking." "God-seeking" has become the goal in itself and if their efforts were ever crowned with success, they would feel themselves highly unfortunate and immediately turn, with their former zeal, from "god-seeking" to "god-fighting" (i.e., theomachism).
St. Hilarion (Troitsky)

2 comments:

Mr. G. Z. T. said...

off-topic: what's the best slavic-style parish choir in Chicago?
geoffrey

Jacob Aleksander said...

I'm not really sure, I have only heard a few which consist of Holy Virgin Protection Cathedral in Des Plaines, Holy Trinity Cathedral, St. Volodymyr Ukranian Cathedral, New Gracanica, and lone canters at St. George and St. Nikola Serbian. There are things I've liked about all of them. I think it is Mat. Olga who chanted at St. George and I particularly like her chanting.

So that doesn't really answer a question of choirs... I think I remember the choir at Holy Virgin being very good, but it's been a while.