Thursday, February 22, 2007

Nail my flesh

Let us crucify our member through abstinence; and as it is written, let us be vigilant in prayer, living after the example of Him who suffered; by His passion, putting to death the passions.
Irmos of Matins, Wednesday, First week of Lent

Nail my flesh with the fear of you, O Christ, Who nailed the sin of Adam to the cross. Loose me from the bonds of wickedness, shatter the arrows of the evil one with Your Lance, Master, and deliver me from all his mischief.
Irmos of Matins, Wednesday, First week of Lent

Beloved, our condition needs much endurance; and endurance is produced when doctrines are deeply rooted. ...the soul which is nailed by the fear of God none will be able to overturn. ... Thus the Prophet prayeth, saying, "Nail my flesh by Thy fear" (Ps. 118: 120, LXX.); "do Thou so fix and join me, as by a nail riveted into me." For as men of this kind are hard to be captured, so the opposite sort are a ready prey, and are easily thrown down.
St. John Chrysostom

No comments: